Alternatives and home remedies when you’re away from your toothbrush
Everyone likes having a clean mouth, but sometimes we don’t have access to a toothbrush or toothpaste. Whether you are in the middle of the woods camping or in the middle of the workday, here are some alternatives to brushing that can save you and your mouth in a pinch.
• Baking Soda – There is a reason that some toothpaste brands boast about having the cleaning effects of baking soda added to them. Baking soda is an effective cleaning agent for many types of items , but it also provides a safe, natural alternative to store-bought toothpaste when applied to the teeth with a clean finger or with a clean cloth.
• Chewing Gum – Yes, gum can in fact help you clean your teeth. It loosens debris in the mouth and leaves your mouth feeling clean. Use sugar free gum in order to help avoid developing cavities.
• Herb Garden – Many herbs, such as mint, rosemary, and sage can be eaten in order to dispel bad breath or lingering tastes, though they do not actually help clean teeth.
• Teeth Wipes – Teeth wipes are soft slightly textured wipes that you put on your finger like a glove. Teeth wipes help remove particles and sticky food matter left on the teeth and gums, but do not take the place of actually brushing your teeth.
• Hydrogen Peroxide – An effective mouthwash can be made using equal parts water and a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide. Peroxide can assist in healing canker sores, killing off bacteria living in the mouth, and fighting gingivitis. However be careful NOT to swallow!
While these alternatives can be used when you are on the go, it is still recommended you brush your teeth and visit your dental proffesional regularly. Use these tips to make sure your oral health can keep up with your busy life!